Do you feel guilty or find yourself justifying those pesky mid afternoon cravings? Not any more as I have a perfect solution to satisfy your sweet tooth without the sugar rush….Trail Mix Cookies!!! And the best bit, there is no mixing and baking. involved!
We all know that nuts and seeds are healthy but do you know that nuts are the best source of arginine, an amino acid that plays an important role in would healing, detoxification reactions, immune functions and promotion and secretion of several hormones, including insulin and growth hormone.
I love these trail mix cookies as they are warming on a cold, wet day! Just a hint of cinnamon-improves how your body handles sugar.Cinnamon turns on your insulin receptors so grab your favourite herbal tea , curl up in a comfortable armchair, bite into these little cookies and enjoy! You’ll be doing your blood sugar a favour.
1 ½ cup almonds
½ cup walnuts
4 tbs pumpkin seeds
4 tbs sunflower seeds
4 tbs dried unsweetened coconut flakes
2 cups pitted medjool dates
4 tbs dried unsweetened cherries or raisins
1 lemon zest
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch of pink himalayan salt
- Line a large tray with parchment paper or cling film.
- In a food processor, process the almonds and walnuts together till crumbly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process again till it forms a soft mix but not into a paste.
- Roll into tiny balls and flatten.
- Place the cookies in the tray and leave to chill in the refrigerator.
- These trail mix cookies can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Tip: The mix can be spread into the lined tray and cut into small cookie shapes if desired. Alternately you can also halve the amount of pumpkin and sunflower seeds and use cacao nibs to satisfy the chocolate craving.